Friday, February 3, 2012

Yes, I Am A Horrible Person Who WILL Betray You

So I'm working at my job at an undisclosed government office and there's a big long line and two of us are waiting on people.  Low Man is waiting on one of our favorite customers and I'm waiting on someone else.  Next in line is some guy who obviously will be a long time-consuming transaction.  He's lugged in a big Rubbermaid container and it is stacked full of stuff for us to do.

The race begins.  We both go slower, each of us trying not to be the one who gets him next.  Low Man's customer understands what is going on and is trying to help her go slower.  But I can talk and move quite slow myself.  I triumph, I swipe my customer's card (slowly) just after Low Man swipes hers.  I win and Low Man gets Mr. Shitloads Of Stuff Thats Going To Take a Lot of Time.  I feel kind of guilty about throwing Low Man under the bus.  But she gets through him and I clear out the rest of the line.

It's not like I made sure she had to wait on someone with body odor or some of our other unpleasant customers.  But it was interesting that we both thought the same thing when we saw him and tried the same strategy to avoid dealing with him.

Sometimes, in life, you gotta ask yourself- am I a pain in the ass?  And if I am, am I even sorry or is this a form of entertainment for me?

For some people, it's just something everyone has to get through for this special occasion.  For others, it is their way of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment