Sunday, April 24, 2011

Brake pads and rotors

When I got my first Mustang at age 50, a blue V6 with Pony package, I told myself I just wanted a nice car, I didn't want to race.  Then I went to the local race track and watched some drag racing.  Then I went back and raced.  That was all it took.  There I'd be every Friday night or Sunday afternoon I could get to the drag races for my adrenalin fix.

Soon I realized that I really needed a V8 if I was going to be serious about racing.  And I had become as serious as a heart attack about it.  I traded the pretty blue Pony car for sinister looking black GT.

I hadn't grown up around car people so things like changing oil and tires were beyond me.  I was flummoxed by just checking tire pressure, I didn't know if I could trust a tire pressure gage's reading and I thought I was just letting the air out of the tire trying to check it.  I learned to go way outside my usual comfort zone to do these things anyway either by researching them on the internet or from the people around me at events.  I bought drag radials for the rears and changing those out became my pre-race ritual.

I got involved in autocrossing and attended a couple of track day weekends.  I always enjoy driving these events, even if I am disappointed in how I do compared to other people.

I indulged myself in these automotive pursuits because I am getting older and haven't really lived all that much. I really feel alive when I do this.  As my employment situation becomes more precarious, I know I may have to give it up abruptly.  I wouldn't be able to afford $5/gallon gasoline if I lost my job tomorrow and I am not saving that well for retirement with the money I've spent on the Mustang.  I've told myself this is the last summer I will do this, my last muscle car summer but every time I drive that car I tell myself, no, just keep going, don't sell/trade it.  Hang on as long as possible.

When I got my summer tires mounted, the shop said my rear rotors and pads were close to needing replacing.  I've ordered rotors and pads from Tire Rack and will install them myself.  I'm studying YouTube videos now and last year, someone from my car club let me help him change his brake pads.  I have a couple of weeks off before there are any events until the middle of May.

No comments:

Post a Comment