Thursday, October 13, 2011

dumb hick in the big city

I didn't stay in Joplin last night, I stayed in Carthage.  The GPS doesn't say the towns.  Carthage is pretty close to Joplin.

I woke up with a headache like I'd had a few beers, which I hadn't.  I went to breakfast at the last possible minute and took my time getting cleaned up and checked out.  I hit the road by 11.  When I stopped at a rest area in Arkansas, the phone rang.  My co-worker was on the verge of a nervous breakdown.  I suggested the supervisors solve the problems.  She says she'll call me back.  She does, when I'm in heavy I-40 traffic.  I talk her through what she needs to do.  I should be paid for this but I know no one will be sympathetic to me, since they are leaving her to sink.  I guess that's what they want.  I am not down with this mindset in my company's culture.

I arrived at the Peabody at about a quarter to four.  It's not like a regular hotel.  A guy took my keys.  There's no big parking lot, so I don't know where they took my car.  I had to unload everything there and I forgot my suit and nice shirts.  Valet parking costs $20 a day.  So I'll have to find out how to retrieve them or go to the prom looking really scuzzy.

There are two bottles of Fiji water by the ice bucket but it costs $3 to drink them.

The ducks will be marching in about half an hour.  I guess I'll wander around and see if I can find the River room, where we are supposed to register for the event.  And I'll take my camera in case I get a good spot to watch the ducks.

No comments:

Post a Comment