Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Journey through a rainy land

It was raining this morning when I got up.  I ate breakfast and started packing.  My mammogram appointment was 9:20 and the Dexa scan was at 10:00.  When they set that up, I thought they were cutting it close.  The instructions for the Dexa scan said don't wear clothes with metal parts.  So I wore my gym shorts.  I had a fanny pack to put my keys and wallet into.

I got into the mammogram before the appointment time and we were done in no time.  I didn't want to hang around the waiting room for forty minutes, so I ran over to the post office and picked up my mail.  When I got back to the hospital, I put my keys in my shorts pocket instead of the fanny pack and sure enough I only remembered them once I was on the table and snatched them out before she started imaging my hip.

I was on the road by noon and the sun was shining then but after I was past Des Moines it was rain off and on, sometimes so heavy the visibility went down to nothing.  Or it was sunny and it was like some one was dumping buckets on you.

I had toyed with the idea of taking the GoPro camera and do movies on the highway but I have so many toys with me I decided against it.  But the cloud formations heading towards Joplin were very interesting looking.  And I spotted a lot of Mustangs, MINI's, BMW's, a Jaguar Xsomethingsomething and a couple of smart cars.  I think those smart cars might be ok for tooling around town but on the interstate, you should have a real car.  I'm just saying.

I got a call from work, an issue I noticed on my way out of there sure enough caused some problems.  You try to convince your boss about what problems can arise and they just smile and tilt their heads like adorable Golden Retrievers but instead of petting them you want to beat them into unconsciousness.

I am staying in a nice Best Western.  In fact, it is the Precious Moments Best Western.  The Precious Moments Chapel is around here somewhere.  There was a gift shop with Precious Moments type knick knacks and some frozen foods fit for a microwave and since I had a microwave in my room, I bought a small pizza and three postcards.  I didn't have any napkins or paper towels to put the pizza on so I tried Kleenex, which really isn't suitable but it worked ok, you just have to make sure to peel all the Kleenex off the bottom of the pizza.

I got a call from Dad and another from someone at astronomy club.  I didn't tell Dad where I was.  Is this coming out day or was that yesterday?  We just had our usual chat.

It should take five hours or less to get to Little Rock tomorrow.  I really am going.  I'm exhausted.  I wonder if I can find some Farscape reruns to fall asleep to.

No comments:

Post a Comment