Monday, January 9, 2012

Shooting holes in the bottom of the boat

It is against company policy for me to talk about my job with out first asking for permission from Headquarters first.  I know it applies to YouTube and Facebook but I am not so sure about blogs.  I used to have quite a lot of work related content on MySpace ('member MySpace?) and also here.  I got a feeling that maybe it wasn't such a good idea to be so candid and deleted most of it long ago.  So I had silenced myself long before my company did anyway.  Mostly I just tried to give people advice on how best to make use of our sometimes complex services.

I am in a sinking ship and so many seem to be gleefully shooting holes in the bottom of the boat.  I give the saboteurs dirty looks and bail for all I'm worth.  It doesn't have to be this way and something will go away for no good reason.  We are drowning in a sea of lies.

Today was frustrating.  I wasn't able to get most of my work done because some kind of update had broken something I use.  A call to the help desk wasn't all that helpful.  He sent me some information that wasn't relevant to my problem but he also said he knew there were a lot of issues with the new release but my particular problem did not seem to be listed yet.  He also said he would not want my job today.  I couldn't believe I was the first one to report this and had actually expected to hear a recording say "If you are calling because line A42 is missing, please use ticket number blah blah blah" and was surprised I got a human being to talk to after not spending all that much time on hold.

I did not get a ticket number and was told to consult someone in my district.  My district person used Netmeeting to watch me try to do my work and agreed that I had a major issue and said I should go back to the help desk and demand a ticket number.  If they decline to give me a ticket number I am supposed to ask for their supervisor.

This put me behind and burdened other people since I wasn't able to help them and I left work late.  I'll call the help desk tomorrow.

But all in all, I can't be too unhappy.  At least no one tried to kill me today.  No one shoots at me or tries to stab me.  It's not so bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment